Friday, June 23, 2006

ONE OF THE SADEST DAYS

This was a recovery day. It changed our lives FOREVER!

We had come to Dazaifu as a small trip since Polly was going, and Nadine was in Kurume for 2 days so we decided to go after a big night of drinking.

What a sad day. It was very gloomy and depressing, and we were hung over. Below the little girls dressed um in Kimonos and going to the Shrines to pray. Polly and I on the main street heading towards the shrine take an awkward drunk photo. Nadine and I outside the restaurant later in the day, no one had an appetite.

The last pic is truly one of the sadest moments of my time in Japan. I even have it on video. I'd like to thank Polly for providing these photos here. Arriving back from Dazaifu, we decided to go to Daiei to get some food and beer...only to find it closing. They had video cameras out, and there was a guy giving a speech and then the doors closed for the last time ever, while people clapped, other cried.

This moment would change our lives without us knowing how much of a neccessity Daiei had become to us. This is where I bought my bike from. This is where we would buy all our food. It was the only supermarket that sold alcohol. It was the closest of all supermarkets. It was 5 stories. It had the best 100 yen shop in it, the best mens clothing floor which I bought all my jimbei's from. They had so many nice ones there, which I thought I could get again...I couldn't.

When Daiei closed. We wanted to get Juice, Bread, Alcohol, Food, but we didn't know where else to go, so for a long time, we just didn't shop. I know it sounds stupid, but it's just the way it was. We got so used to it, so accustomed to it, that without it we were lost. You could see it from our balcony. It was one of the first places I came aquainted to. The firs things I asked. "What is Daiei?" That 100 yen shop was my life! So many memories. So many laughs, so many trips!

DAIEI, you will ALWAYS be REMEMBERED!



 Posted by Picasa

No comments: